A MLA Locksmith will be able to help if you have lost your keys and are locked out of the house, if your keys are lost, a locksmith who does key cutting can cut a new key immediately for any type of door or window lock.
You could be locked out of your house/flat and lost your front door or back door keys, or even just need some replacement UPVC window or door keys, had your keys stolen or been a victim of a burglary.
Please read on for information about losing your keys and what lost keys a locksmith can replace.
I’ve lost my only set of House Keys
If you lose your only set of house keys that may contain either your front or back door key the following advice will help:
- A skilled MLA licensed locksmith can make you a new key without having the original, they can cut keys to lock by hand
- A locksmith can change & replace locks to keep you in compliance with BS3621 – read our guide on BS3621 locks here
- In future, it’s always safe to have a spare set of keys, so having your keys cut is an advisable thing to do.
Lost keys a locksmith can replace
- Lost Front or Back Door Key for home – cylinder & mortice locks – easy to replace
- Patio door key – very easy to replace
- Lost Garage Door Key – very easy & quick to replace
- uPVC Door and Windows – easy & quick to replace
- Safe keys – tricky to cut will require an expert key cutter
- Lost Keys to a restricted or suited lock – MLA Locksmiths can usually help or point you in the correct direction )
Help I’ve lost my front / back door keys
If you have lost your front or back doors key for your house, the solution is very simple. A MLA Locksmith will:
- Help you gain entry to the property
- Change the lock for security preventions to eliminate the use of your old keys
- Cut keys for your new lock
Locksmiths approved by the Master Locksmiths Association are Vetted, Inspected & Qualified.
Can a locksmith make a key without the original?
If it’s a lost key a locksmith can make you a key without the original, as locksmiths can make keys to lock by hand. By using a blank and a file and the skills, they’ve developed over the years a locksmith can create a key from scratch without the need for an original key.
Many locksmiths can cut keys to number for locks on office furniture and cabinets
Should I change locks after losing house keys?
A locksmith will recommend you change your door locks if you lose your keys as a security prevention. Changing your locks after losing your keys will stop anyone from accessing your home who does not have permission to.
If you are having your locks changed then you may want to consider:
- Upgrading to higher security locks such as anti-snap
- Making sure your new locks meet insurance requirements such as BS-3621
- Keying your locks alike – one key to work all locks
Lost key for UPVC Door
If you have lost the key to a uPVC door then your local MLA Approved locksmith will be able to:
- Help you gain entry to your property
- Replace the door lock cylinder
If you’re changing your lock cylinder then you may want to consider:
- 1. Upgrading the cylinder to an SS312 Diamond approved cylinder to protect from lock snapping
- 2. Making sure the new cylinders meet insurance requirements
- 3. Keying your cylinders alike ( one key to work all locks )
- 4. Consider upgrading the multipoint locking system on the door to help improve security
Lost Window Key
If you lost your window key, a locksmith will be able to provide a new key all types of window locks such as
- uPVC window key
- window handle key
Window keys are one of the cheapest & easiest keys to cut,
Lost Garage Door Key
If you have lost the key to your garage door lock and need a replacement garage door key cutting this is a very simple job.
Garage door keys are cheap and fast keys to replace due to them being easy to cut.
About Garage Door Keys
Garage doors keys are usually slightly different in appearance to normal house keys, but an MLA approved locksmith will have no problem in cutting a new key for you.
How Much Does it Cost to replace lost house keys?
As there is no governing body for locksmiths in the UK, this means locksmiths do not have a price structure they are required to follow….so the cost of a locksmith to replace lost house keys will vary.
The price will depend on:
1. Your location
2. The time of day
3. Type of key you have lost – i.e mortice key, small Yale type key, security key etc..
For security reasons the locksmith will usually change the locks if you lost your keys.