Do you need a car key cutting or replacement car keys so you always have a spare set? Find a auto locksmith near you to cut & copy car keys for any type of vehicle.
Many MLA locksmiths who provide a Auto Locksmith Service do Car Key Cutting / Car Key Programming if you need a replacement car key cut & copied if you have lost car keys, the car key need repairing or you just want a duplicate set of car keys.
A locksmith approved by the Master Locksmiths Association can programme and cut keys for your car/van/motorbike/motorcycle whatever vehicle you may have.
Types of Vehicle Keys That Can Be Cut
A auto locksmith will be able to cut keys for most types of vehicles and types of keys:
- Transponder Keys ( most cars after 1998 have transponder chips & programmed to a specific car )
- Remotes Car Keys / Electronic Chips / Key Fobs / – car keys programming required
- Standard Car Keys ( vehicle without remote central locking )
- ‘Keyless’ Entry Fobs
- Car keys
- Any vehicle key for ignition, boot & petrol cap
- Vintage & classic car keys
- Motorcycle / Motorbike keys
- Van keys
- Caravan keys
Don’t forget that a vetted and qualified locksmith can help with accessories and increasing car security such as Roof Racks, Steering Wheel Locks etc..
Some can even give motorcycle security advice by advising on what security devices to use.
Replacement Car Keys – Reasons Why
There could be a number of reasons why you need a replacement set of keys for your vehicle, below are the most common reasons that are come across on a daily basis and problems a auto locksmith will be able to help you with
- Lost car keys – require new keys
- Replacement Car Keys ( or any other vehicle )
- Replacement Transponder Chip if the chip is broken or missing
- Spare Set of Car Keys for convenience in case of lost or damaged vehicle key
- Locked out of your vehicle
- Broken Car Keys / Keys Stuck in the Ignition
- Stolen car keys – have you been a victim of keyless car theft?
- Keys have snapped in Car door lock
How do I get a new key for my car?
To get a new key for your car you will need to supply the auto locksmith with the following:
- 1. Make & model of vehicle
- 2. Vehicle Registration
- 3. Vehicle identification number ( found in your V5 document – see the vehicles log book )
- 4. Proof of your identification
We tell you the quickest way to get replacement car keys here and also find out the cheapest way to get replacement car keys.
MLA Locksmiths are Vetted, Inspected and Qualified
Find a Locksmith Near You
Where can you get a car key made?
There are four main places to get a replacement car key made and that is:
1. Specialist Auto Locksmith
They will have specialist equipment so can duplicate and replace most types of car key. This is usually the cheapest and fastest option.
2. Through a Car Insurance Provider
Car keys are usually only covered by insurance if you have lost your car keys or are they stolen. Also, it may affect your no claims bonus.
Note: Most insurance providers use the services of a specialist auto locksmith to get this done.
3. Roadside Assistance
Sometimes they may be able to assist but it depends on the type of vehicle and equipment they have.
4. Car Dealer
Usually, the most expensive option and normally won’t be able to come to you, unlike a auto locksmith who can have a fully mobile workshop.
Can you make a copy of a car key?
A auto locksmith will be able to make a copy for most types of car key – either a standard remote fob or a transponder key.
A remote key or transponder key will need programming by a specialist auto locksmith though.
Replacement Remote Key Fob
Should you need a new remote key fob a dedicated auto locksmith will be able to either clone your existing key or program a new one even if you don’t have the key.
I need a spare transponder key, can a auto locksmith help or do I need to go to my main dealer?
- Yes, most auto locksmiths can duplicate transponder ( microchipped keys ) keys and therefore are able to help.
- In fact, a lot of main dealers now use the services of auto locksmiths to provide these services themselves.
Need a car key cut in an emergency?
Should you be locked out of your vehicle at an untimely hour, most MLA Approved Auto Locksmiths offer a 24 Hour Emergency Service and provide key cutting on site.
Replacement Car Key Models
Most Auto Locksmiths can provide a replacement key for your specific model of car key.
Below are some of the most recognized models that auto locksmiths will be able to help with:
- Alfa Romeo
- Aston Martin
- Land Rover
- Mini / Mini Cooper
- Rolls Royce
- Volkswagen VW
If your model of car is not listed above, call an MLA approved auto locksmith to help you.
Car Key Cutting Cost
How much does it cost to get a car key cut?
The cost to get a new car cut all depends on your car make, model and year. This then depends on parts and tokens required for car key programming and also if the car key is basic or remote.
The price also varies if the auto locksmith can programme that particular vehicle model & year.
The cost to get a new car key cut depends on
1. The make of vehicle – a Ford Fiesta will normally be cheaper than a Mazda or Hyundai
2. The model and year of car – The year and model of vehicle can impact the price
3. The type of car key – Do you have a remote fob or transponder car key?
- Non remote car keys cut and cloned to manually open and start the car, the key can start from £40.
- Remote and proximity keys they can average from £90.
4. Availability of your keys – Do you have spare car keys that can be copied? or you have lost your keys?
No Spare Car Key To Cut
Having no spare car key will be the most expensive option though as the auto locksmith has no original key to work from.
If you have lost your car keys, the locksmith can delete from the vehicle’s database history so if found or stolen they cannot be used.
We recommend to get quotes from at least three auto locksmiths in your area who more often than not will be cheaper than your local dealer.
How much does a Classic Car Key Cost to Cut?
The price to cut a replacement classic car key is from £6.
- 5 Ways to Replace Your Car Keys – cheapest and fastest ways