Are you locked out of your house with no spare key or locked your keys inside? A locksmith approved by the MLA can help by unlocking & opening the door without damaging your door or lock by using a non-destructive way.
A Locksmith can also help with keys locked inside the door, if locked out your home/flat or office always use a locksmith approved by Master Locksmiths Association.
Locked Out of House – Flat/Apartment or Business
A locksmith can help with apartment, flat & office lockouts
If you are locked out of your home, flat or office a locksmith can pick the lock open securely without damaging the lock, common lockout problems a locksmith can help with are:
- Locked out with no key
- Locked out with Key Inside in Door
- Key Stuck in Lock and door won’t open
- Key snapped or broken in lock
Locks a Locksmith can Unlock and Open
A locksmith will be able by unlock and gain entry to all types of door locks including the following:
- Euro cylinder locks including Anti Snap locks
- Night Latches
- Mortice locks – 3 lever and 5 levers
- Locks fitted to Wooden Doors
- Locks fitted to uPVC Door locks & Composite doors
Locked out of House without a key?
If you are locked out and have no key because you have lost your keys or locked the keys inside you will require a locksmiths help immediately:
- Locked out late at night or early morning? – A 24-hour emergency locksmith will your first choice to open your door.
- Non-destructive entry – Accessing property after losing or misplacing the original keys doesn’t mean accessing by smashing glass or damaging expensive doors to your home.
- Trained to open & unlock all locks – Master Locksmiths are trained to access properties painlessly and effortlessly.
For lockouts or lost the keys to a restricted or suited lock an MLA locksmith or the MLA will be able to point you in the right direction.
Locked Out with a Broken lock?
If your door lock is broken or damaged, the locksmith will be able to open the door and advise on replacing your broken lock, if necessary they can also help on upgrading your locks.
As door lock replacement is a specialist area, a locksmith can help with the following:
- Replacing the lock if it is damaged or faulty
- Changing and Fitting a new lock
- Upgrading locks to BS3621 to meet insurance requirements.
To check your current locks are BS3621 click here we also tell you what locks are approved to BS3621.
Locked Out with Key Snapped in Lock
If you have snapped your key in the door lock, the locksmith can remove the snapped key and open the door by doing the following:
- 1. Remove the key from the lock (without damaging your lock)
- 2. Open the lock and let you in
- 3. Cut a new key to fit your lock
For the cost of replacement keys see our key cutting price list here.
Locked out of a uPVC Door?
UPVC doors are the worst for coming out of adjustment once that has happened to stop trying to force it to lock get it sorted ASAP it will cost less in the long run.
Do not keep forcing a uPVC handle up to lock it – you should be able to just lift it, if not adjustments are all that is needed usually!
Can a locksmith make a key for a locked door?
It would be possible if the door is opened non-destructively by a locksmith. Once the door is opened the locksmith can find the correct key blank to suit the lock or can make a key by hand.
Keys cut after being locked out of house
After being locked out you may need to replace your keys, a locksmith can replace any type of key even if the key is broken. Once the door is opened the locksmith can cut a new key by hand to suit your lock.
Again please visit the find a locksmith page to find your nearest MLA licensed locksmith.
For advice on getting keys cut please see our key cutting guide page.
How to prevent being locked out of house
To prevent you from being locked out of the house or flat again, we recommend the following:
- 1. Roller rim locks can be fitted they need a key to be turned in the cylinder to lock them from the outside.
- 2. Door restrictors can stop the door from shutting behind you
- 3. Checking/Oil locks People seem to forget about checking/oiling their locks and doors checking for worn keys badly cut keys (we all see them) and not sorting out a problem until it is too late prevention is better than cure.
- 4. When a door starts to stick a key won’t turn in the cylinder properly check it out don’t let it get worse.
If you do get locked out an MLA qualified & vetted locksmith should be able to get you back in without damage (unless the lock has broken) with as little inconvenience as can be done.
All MLA Approved Companies have been vetted, are regularly inspected and employ a locksmith with an exam based qualification to ensure you get the highest level of service.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost for a locksmith to unlock your house?
The price to unlock a locked door will be from £70, although this will depend on a number of factors such as:
- 1. Time of day – a locksmith at 1 am in the morning will cost more than 1 pm
- 2. Damaged lock or not – if the lock is damaged the job will be more expensive, rather than a locksmith just having to pick open a working lock
- 3. Your Location – depends on how far the locksmith has to travel
How long does it take a locksmith to open a door?
It should take a locksmith from 30 minutes to open a locked door, the time taken will depend on the type of lock you have fitted. For example, a basic euro cylinder will be quicker to unlock compared to a high-security anti-snap lock which will require specialist tools to open.
Unlocking a lock fitted to a wooden door may take longer to open as most wooden doors will have 2 locks fitted to the door.
How does a locksmith unlock a locked door?
The lock will most likely need picking if you have locked out yourself out or lost your keys and need your door opening. This is a simple job for any well trained and experienced locksmith, some locksmiths can even unlock locked combination safes and vehicles.
Can a locksmith open a lock without breaking it?
Yes, a locksmith can open your lock without damaging it, most locksmiths use a non-destructive way to open your door to enter the property ensuring no damage is done to the lock or door.
Can you call the police if your locked out of your house?
If you are locked out of your house, you should not bother the emergency services such as the Police or Fire Brigade, we always recommend to contact a locksmith in your area for this sort of service.
Locksmiths approved by the Master Locksmiths Association are Vetted, Inspected & Qualified.