Since the announced Coronavirus lockdown, you may be wondering if locksmiths are still working during the lockdown.
In short the answer is yes, most MLA Approved Locksmiths are working (unless they are self-isolating of course). Some retails shops may be closed but most locksmiths are continuing to offer emergency locksmith services.
Locksmiths are Open During Lockdown
Locksmiths can continue to work in other peoples homes per Government guidelines.
Find A MLA Approved Locksmith here.
Find out below whether Locksmith working hours are effected, if pricing has changed and about hiring a locksmith while in self-isolation.
1. Will a Locksmith Cost More Because of COVID-19?
No, locksmith prices should not increase during Coronavirus lockdown.
See our locksmith price guide which includes emergency locksmith costs & indications of how much certain types of jobs may cost.
2. Is the Call Out Charge More during COVID-19?
Again no, a locksmith should not charge extra for a call-out during the coronavirus lockdown.
A call-out charge may be added if the locksmith has a long-distance to travel which is standard practice, see our price page for more on locksmith call out charges.
3. What Hours are locksmiths working during the Coronavirus Lockdown?
Our locksmiths hours have not been affected by the lockdown, most are still operating emergency call-outs & 24 hours service.
- Emergency Locksmiths – hours open as normal
- 24 Hour Locksmiths – still open 24 hours a day
- Locksmith Shop – opening hours normal
You can find a locksmith near you here.
4. Are Locksmiths Working During the Coronavirus Lockdown?
Yes, nearly all locksmiths are currently working during the lockdown as current government guidelines indicate tradespeople can continue work.
5. Are Locksmith Shops Open during the Coronavirus Lockdown?
Yes, most locksmith shops are open during the lockdown.
Locksmith shops that are open may well operate with limited open hours & restrictions on the number of customers allowed in the store at any one-time, so social distancing is implemented.
6. I am self-isolating at home can a locksmith still help?
Yes, a locksmith will be able to help if you are self-isolating at home although we recommend the following:
- Tell the locksmith the type of work you require completing
- Some locksmiths are only accepting emergency/essential work such as lockouts
- It is vital to tell the locksmith you are self-isolating
- The locksmith will ensure actions can be put in place before the visit
7. Will a Locksmith keep Social Distancing In Place?
Yes, locksmiths will ensure that social distancing measures are kept at all times and will work with hand sanitizer/gels, gloves and masks for prevention.
The locksmith can complete their work on their own ensuring yourself and the locksmith are kept safe.
Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 Customers
For any confirmed or suspected COVID-19 addresses, the locksmith will then also wear goggles & full protective suits to comply with PPE regulations, that is if the locksmith has agreed to attend these homes.
Do You Require Essential Locksmith Work?
You may find some locksmiths are only offering essential locksmith work only such as being locked out of your house/locked in.
What a Locksmith Can Help With during Lockdown
During the coronavirus lockdown, a locksmith will consider work either essential or non-essential.
Essential Locksmith Work
The following types of work may be considered as essential work only:
- 24 Hour Emergency Locksmith Call Outs
- Lockouts if locked out of house
- Front and back doors not locking
- Opening locked doors if locked in
- Door Lock repairs
- Replacement locks if locked out or locked in
- Key Cutting
- Safe opening
- Emergency auto locksmith work
- Lost car keys, vehicle keys not working
- Auto work for Ambulance, Police, Local authorities & other key workers
Non-Essential Locksmith Work
The following are types of locksmith work that may be considered as non-essential during the current COVID-19 lockdown.
- Lock upgrades
- Replacement door and window locks
- Access control systems
- Burglar alarm and CCTV system Installations
- Fitting Security grilles, gates and shutters
- Non-Emergency auto locksmith work
- Car key cutting and programming spare car keys
- Repair of intermittent fault on spare car keys
We recommend contacting your local MLA Approved locksmith to ask if they can complete the type of work you require.
Note: Locksmiths are self-isolating themselves during lockdown, so may have taken the decision to not accept any work during this time.
MLA Approved Locksmiths Near You