Find out how much a locksmith call out charge is in the UK, what a locksmith call out fee will usually cover and also what the average cost of calling out an emergency locksmith is.
For estimated prices of locksmith jobs see our locksmith price list here.
How Much Is a Locksmith Call Out Charge?
You may find a lot of locksmiths will offer no call out charge fee when hiring a locksmith within normal working hours, the same with 24-hour locksmiths
The only price you should pay will be the locksmiths hourly labour rate plus prices of parts on top of this.
An example would be a £65 fee that includes first hours labour, then a reduced hourly rate for further hours e.g £55 for 2nd hour on site.
Important: It’s worth noting that the fee may be fixed and will be charged even if the locksmith is on site for less than 1 hour.
Find a local locksmith near you here.
Will an Emergency Locksmith Charge a Call Out Fee?
A lot of emergency 24 hour locksmiths will offer FREE call outs, then bill an hourly labour rate the same as a normal locksmith.
An emergency locksmiths hourly labour rate prices could be as follows:
- £65 per hour before 6pm
- £75 per hour after 6pm
- £85 per hour 8pm till midnight
- £120 per hour after midnight
Pro Tip: Ask if VAT is included in the price, some locksmiths are not VAT registered.
Find an emergency locksmith near you here.
Why a Call Out Fee Might be Charged
If you are charged a call out fee by a locksmith this can be because of the following reasons:
- Hiring a locksmith after 6pm or unsocial hours
- Call out fee for a bank holiday
- After hours on a weekend
- Locksmith has a long distance to travel
What Will a Call Out Charge Cover?
A locksmith may charge a call out fee to cover the following:
- Location of work – Call out charge may cover the locksmiths cost & distance to attend the site of work
- Time Spent on Site – Call out charge may cover time spent on site (for example the first 15 minutes on site)
Our locksmith price checklist is a very useful guide to help ask the correct questions when hiring a locksmith, especially any questions regarding call out fees.
How much is a Locksmith Call Out Fee In London?
If you are charged a call out fee in London, any charges in London may be slightly higher than elsewhere in the UK, this is because of the following factors:
- Call Out Fee to cover Congestion charges
- Call Out Fee to cover any London parking charges
- Charge to cover time spent in London traffic
Find a Vetted London Locksmith here.
Call Out Charge Questions to Ask
Below are some questions we recommend asking your locksmith to about any possible call out charges:
- 1. Is there a call out charge or a minimum labour charge?
- 2. What does your call out fee cover?
- 3. Is VAT included in the charge?
See our price list checklist for 8 questions to ask a locksmith.
Prices Quotes from Vetted Locksmiths