Are you looking to hire a locksmith? All MLA approved locksmiths have been vetted, inspected and are fully qualified via passing the MLA Exam.
MLA Approved Locksmiths Are:
1. Vetted – Locksmiths are criminal record checked
- MLA approved locksmiths undergo strict vetting (including criminal record checks)
- Locksmiths can only be DBS checked via the MLA
- The only way for locksmiths to get standard Criminal Record checks (or DBS checks as they are now) is via MLA membership.
This is following a change to the law on the vetting of locksmiths implemented thanks to a campaign by the MLA.
2. Inspected – Locksmiths are regularly inspected
- Each company is inspected on a regular basis, thus ensuring that its members and their operatives maintain standards in workmanship and administration.
- Members are expected to conform to legal requirements and customer charters exist to ensure customer satisfaction.
- The Approved Companies inspectorate means the MLA can demonstrate that all Company Members are meeting high standards.
- Inspections have the effect of making locksmithing companies more accountable for their daily operations.
- Approved Company members are made aware that the MLA considers that good quality and ongoing training for a locksmith is an essential means of maintaining standards.
3. Fully Qualified – Locksmiths have passed the MLA Exam
- The MLA Exam consists of a written module and 3 practical exam modules
- To pass the exam, locksmiths:
- have to open British Standard lever lock
- fit a euro operated mortice lock
- cut a key by hand to prove their competence
- Locksmiths must have passed the MLA Exam to become a QML (Qualified Master Locksmith)
- QML (Qualified Master Locksmith) is a requirement to becoming an MLA Approved Company.
Vetted Locksmiths Near You
Why do we license our Approved Locksmiths?
There is no government licensing of locksmiths, The Master Locksmiths Association has established its own licensing scheme.
In addition to being vetted, inspected and fully qualified, Master Locksmith Association Locksmiths must employ a locksmith with a recognised exam based qualification.
Therefore we always recommend checking the credentials of a locksmith.
Benefits of using an MLA licensed locksmith
- Standards are kept high by the employment of qualified locksmiths, strict vetting and regular inspections.
- Training is also provided by the Association to ensure members are constantly up to date with the latest industry developments
- Leading Trade Association for the locksmithing industry
- Promotes standards of conduct, practice and materials within locksmithing
- Provides peace of mind to the end customer through it’s licensing scheme, in the absence of Government based licensing
Why the Master Locksmiths Association?
Recognised as the authoritative body for locksmithing by:
- Police – a few examples Herts Police / Met Police / West Yorkshire Police / Cambs Police
- Home Office
- British Standards Institute (BSI)
- RISC Authority (formerly IPCRes, the UK property insurers’ technical group)
- Building Research Establishment (BRE)
- Neighbourhood and Home Watch Network
The MLA Approved Company Logo
Locksmiths who are MLA approved are allowed to use The MLA Approved Company logo on their websites, van, premises, vehicles and stationery.
Report Misuse of the MLA Logo/Membership Claim
If you believe a company is misusing the MLA Logo and/or claims to an MLA Member please see our Report Misuse of the MLA Logo/Membership page