The MLA work very closely with the Secured by Design, and our members are recommended in their security tips and advice.
What is Secured By Design?
Secured by Design is owned by Police Crime Prevention Initiatives Ltd and is an initiative aimed at crime prevention through the use of high quality products and processes at the design and build or retrofit stage of developments.
More details on SBD can be found at the Secured By Design Website
Secured by Design have provided some useful guidelines for the public to consider for their security at home. This advice can be found at view the on their crime prevention advice pages
What does Security Guidance Cover?
There is information about securing homes and business, including:
- Ideas for Security Around the front and back of your home (i.e. how to make gaining access to the rear of your property difficult, suggestions on security lighting and security for outbuildings etc.)
- General Security advice such as always locking your doors and windows, never leaving keys in locks or within easy reach of the door and keeping any tools that could be used for gaining entry securely stored.
- Advice for the security of properties with shared entrances (e.g. using care when allowing entry via entry phone systems) as well as suggestions for security inside your home (such as marking property).
- Advice on doorstep callers (always check ID, don’t let strangers into your property, never discuss security arrangements with strangers on the doorstep).
- Advice on how to make it look like you are at home, (e.g. not closing curtains during the day, using lights on timers, cancelling deliveries when away on holiday) as well as the suggestion of considering joining a Neighbourhood Watch scheme.